Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Deer, rabbits, and antlers











Last weekend was a very enjoyable weekend. Stephen and I went hiking twice and it was very fun, especially after a long winter of not doing those kind of activity's very much. Both days that we hiked, we went hiking in the mountains behind our house. On saturday we actually walked from our backyard into the mountains ( our backyard is the mountains ). Steve found a nice brown two point deer horn, a spike elk horn, and a small older white three point deer horn, and we both found a few old broken crusty peices of deer horns. On Sunday Stephen and I got ready for church and started driving to our church building when I realized that it was stake conferance that day.We wern't sure which building we were supposed to meet at, and we didn't know what time it started ( it was probably over because it was about 1:00 at the time ) so we went back home. At least our intentions were good. After Stephen and I took a nap, we went hiking again. We drove our ATV up into the mountain and went for a relaxing hike in the beautiful mountains.On Sunday, I found a nice four point deer horn! I also got realy close to a deer; it was laying down and not running away from me so I was worried it was hurt. I kept slowly walking towards it and it still wouldn't run.I didn't want to get too close to the deer because that wouldn't be safe. Eventually I took one step too close for the doe's comfort and it ran off. I got a few pictures of the doe before she ran off though. Steve and I saw alot of deer when we went hiking saturday and sunday, and a few rabbits too. There are many deer living on the mountains behind our house. We also came across many many deer kills. apparently there are a fair amount of cougars up there too. No need to worry, the Cougars arn't something to worry about! If you go hiking anywhere in Utah there is a good chance you have had a cougar watch you, and they arn't interested in messing with people. The reason you ocassionally hear about cougar attacks is because in some areas people are taking over their land and wiping out all of their food. It's extremely rare for them to mess with you! Cougars don't even want to mess with your dog! Anyway... now that I have given my little speech on cougars, I will continue telling you about my sunday. We saw a few other people hiking on Sunday too, and a few people on horses and with they're dogs. On Saturday it looked like we had the mountain too ourselves ; we didn't see any other people. After our hike on Sunday, we went home and made rice with chopped up Kilbasa in it. Steve improvised while making a sauce for the rice and it turned out realy good! Steve's rice sauce had cream of chicken , Cholula, soy sauce, worstechire sauce, ketchup, and cracked black pepper ( there may have been more stuff in it but I don't think there was ) in it. It sounds like a strange combo of ingredients, so I was skeptical about it, but it turned out to be realy good! It was realy nice to spend time relaxing and having fun on the weekend with Stephen, especially since life is often so hectic. I absolutely love going out and experiancing this beautiful world God created for us, especially when I am with my Stephen!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

sounds so relaxing. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

That deer picture is awesome! And the picture of Stephen makes me laugh because he blends right into the background. I guess that camo thing really works, eh?
BTW, you guys have to try Confucius chicken egg rolls! (Walmart frozen section) Sooooo good.
I can't wait to see you easter weekend!

Robin Holt said...

Yeah that camo does a pretty dang good job, Steve realy does blend right in! I'll will definetely try the egg rolls.

Brenda Bowen Wright said...

Love reading your blog - my life is so boring right now! so Thanks and take a hike for me, Ok? Auntie Brenda.

shawn.t.spencer said...

I loved hearing your very detailed chronology of Saboath events. It was indeed peaceful. I wish I was a rabbit in low desert wilderness. Ah, the days when I was an uber nerd and wore camouflage even though I had no use for it! Yours are Ranger, Special Ops grade with snow highlights. I am too jealous. How come I don't get to wear camow-flae-je (I still haven't figure out how to spell that even though I'm a teacher and am omniscient.

Brenda Bowen Wright said...

I love reading your blog, but I found a website for Steven:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/c4e9/

who would like to invent Bacon flavored salt! I just had to send you the link! Who but Steven would appreciate it? Love you, Auntie Brenda Wright

Mindy and Shawn said...

I publicly apologize for my SPAM comments - that too many people know about already - Thanks, Mish, anyway. I try to please everyone which ends out seeming pretty entertaining after it's not!